Thursday, November 10, 2011

I don't support homeschooling....?

I firmly believe that if you are not a certified teacher that you should not home school your children. There is a reason that schools require a college education to teach our youth. I feel that children who are home taught are at a great disadvantage both educationally and socially. A relative of mine has decided that home schooling is the best option. Her children live in a great school district (one of the top 10 schools in the entire state). Her oldest child is 9 and reads at about a first grade level, cannot add double digits, doesn't understand fractions, can't spell most words, has low comprehension levels, hasn't even mastered writing sentences let alone paragraphs or short stories. I have a second grader who is smart, but, not a genius and he blows this other kid out of the water.... I think that home schooling is ridiculous. Am I the only one who feels this way???

No comments:

Post a Comment